Thursday, January 29, 2015

Why I'll take this artsy fartsy thing

You seem very annoyed by your Objective Narratives HASS. You even considered dropping it. Can I ask you about it?

Sure! I'd like to know why too!

So what is it about this HASS that annoys you?

Well, for one, it's so abstract and I fear that I won't do well in the subject.
Also, I feel that I might be wasting one HASS module slot, where I could be learning more skills to deal with people (like Orgs & People), or skills to better understand how society works. Things that would be useful in the workplace. 

How does that concern you?

I just don't want to feel like I'm wasting my time since time is precious.

And how does that affect you? Are you just worried you won't do well? Do you think what you'll learn in this HASS isn't useful?

It makes my mind actually think for itself and formulate abstract opinions that only certain people care about. 
I think I'm a rather practical person that runs ahead with things. 

What if I told you that these exercises would train you in "how you analyze art, composition, meaning, and it also trains conceptualisation skills, how you think about a topic, represent it visually, communicate" (Ian).

Yeah! I think these are things I'm lacking in - standing my ground and being daring to conceptualize something out of my own mind, rather than adapting to others' opinions and going with the flow. 

So can you get over the fact that learning this is not inferior to learning about the more "practical" things?

I think I can. THANKS HAHAHA!

---

So I just had a conversation with myself, using the little technique Jane taught us during Collab class to use when trying to find out the underlying values or themes of others. It's supposed to avoid the "why" question to avoid getting you into an emotional cascade and missing the point! It's more about "how do you feel about it" and "what about it affects you?".
I was quite bemused when Chun Yong shared with us a conversation he had with himself during the last day, and I somehow just had this with myself because I was seriously considering changing HASS subjects! Still a bit uneasy, but let's see how this goes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

YMPACT Inside Out 2015 Reflections

So many things have happened since my last post, and this whole year. It's really flown by like a bullet train. But instead of trying ...